Monday, December 28, 2009


This image is from my journal in a contemplation of the title that I have given this blog and my etsy shop.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the name I have chosen: art asana. Asana is a sanskrit word (the language of yoga) that means seat, posture or pose (according to the glossary in Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, translated by B.K.S Iyengar). So what is Art Asana?  In my naming of these two places in cyberspace, I wanted a name that represented my intention to embrace myself as an artist and yogi. To me, art asana means taking my seat in the intention of being an artist/entrepreneur/yogi and offering that intention up to something bigger then me. It's as if I am saying, here I am in the world (as I am), determined by my intention and diving into the flow of grace, letting it sweep me away towards whatever is in store. Taking this seat, this asana, as artist requires as much steadiness as it does letting go. Yoga asana is a way to embody our intentions and plant the seeds of them into the foundations of our bodies. We take our seat as yogis. In the same way, I set my intentions into the space of visual expression, I allow them to dance though the puddles of paint I squirt down on my palette. I take my seat as artist.
And don't we all want to feel this sense of belonging, this sense of taking our seats in our own meaningful purposes?
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Sara Moriarty said...

This is gorgeously written Eliza. Your passion and purpose are inspiring.

Warm Regards,

Sara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails