Thursday, August 19, 2010




summersalesign

Yesterday, I stepped outside my door and took a deep breath in to realize that air smelled for the first time 
like a hint of fall was on the breeze. 
Do you know that smell?
It hit my nose and immediately thoughts of the season changing began to creep into my mind.
I've started seeing other subtle signs too,
the first few yellowing leaves falling on my neighbor's lawn,
a back-to-school kids fashion segment on the CBS Early Show,
the bright golden orbs of ripened tomatoes,
all seem to be pointing to the inevitable:
Fall is coming!

I always find myself moving through a mix of emotions when the seasons shift,
excited by new sensory experience that each season brings,
but also somewhat sad 
that yet another season has fleetingly slipped by.

IMG_3208

I am sure I'm not alone in this mix of emotions, about the coming of fall especially.
All across the lands, teachers are getting their classrooms ready, attending meetings, making plans and preparations for the first week of school.
Kids are anxiously thinking about going into their new grade, wondering what adventures and friendships lie ahead, but at the same time balking about ending their summers.
Parents, I image too, have their share of excitements and sadness as they rush around finding backpacks and notebooks and lunchboxes.
I too am getting ready to go back to school,
revving up to work on my thesis proposal that will be the start of this final year of graduate study.

As all this shifting and changing happens, I am thinking that the only thing to do is embrace it and
celebrate transition

IMG_3268

 So, I'm going to enjoy every last drop of the fading summer sun, of the leaves slowly starting to think about leaving their green behind, of the abundance of garden (and farmer's markets) harvest, of that crisp smell in the air, of the new school year anticipation.
Bring it on Fall!

As another way to celebrate this transitional time of the year, 
I have decided to host my very first

For two days only, today August 19th and tomorrow August 20th
all prints in my shop are on sale!
All 8x8 and 8x10 prints that were 25$ are now 18$
All 5x7 and 6x6 prints that were 15$ are now 10$
Head on over to my shop to check it out and
thank you all for you continued support and love!


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I feel the same way! I try to celebrate transition but part of me is envisioning ice and winter coats, and that part digs in her heels and sticks out her bottom lip.

Kristen said...

Yeah, I always get a little sad at the end of summer. It usually lasts till Thanksgiving when I realize Christmas is right around the corner, and I LOVE Christmas! :)

-Kristen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails